Warning…I tend to ramble when I’m feeling nostalgic. Just ask my husband…
It has come so fast!!! We aren’t actually leaving Texas for another 2 ½ weeks, but I have been feeling very nostalgic for the past couple of days. Today the movers came and loaded up all of our stuff for Washington. Our apartment looks very bare. It is reminding me of the trip Dan and I took down here to check out the area before moving, when we saw these apartments for the first time. Then I look at Broden and am reminded of Jacey when she was his age. When we moved to Texas she was the same age that he is right now. Then THAT makes me think about how much our family has changed in the past 3 years. I like to think it has been for the better. I hope so! :) We are definitely more independent, and I think we have proved to ourselves that we can get through just about anything relying on just each other and the Lord. I was initially nervous about moving so far from our family, who we love so much. Don’t get me wrong, we’re grateful to be moving back closer to them, but we also realized that we’ve probably branched out to get to know others down here a little more than we have living closer to family in the past. That’s something I hope to take with us. We’ve been grateful for ALL of the good influences we’ve had down here. We’re grateful for extended family that we probably wouldn’t have known otherwise. We often say that we would be thrilled if 10 years down the road our family was just like them! I’m grateful for the influence of good friends, whether it’s other students who traveled the same road we did, other young moms who I watch and try to pattern my parenting skills after more than they will ever know, or older women who I visit taught or served with in Young Womens who were always there to mother me a little bit and make a fuss over my kids when my own mom and mother-in-law were so far away. I’m even grateful for the influence of Jacey’s cute primary teacher/ adopted “grandma” (who could probably be my grandma!) and the way even she has made Texas feel like home. I’m grateful that we’ve been able to live somewhere where people have a firm belief in God and share those beliefs freely, even if they are different from mine. I’m grateful that we’ve been able to live someplace that is SO family friendly, and where people are so committed to their children. I realize that this probably sounds like I am leaving Texas kicking and screaming, but I’m not. I’ll admit I have had some mixed feelings just because I have LOVED the past 3 years down here. A very wise woman (a fellow YW leader- she has raised several teenagers, so I consider her to be very wise!) recently shared a great Dr. Seuess quote with me. She said, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” That quote has made all the difference in the world in my attitude. It’s so true! I know we have been so blessed to know the people we have known and learn the things we have learned. How can I be sad when I think of all the great memories we’ve made down here? Some people go their whole lives without those kinds of experiences. And on top of that, as hard as it is to say goodbye, I am EXCITED for the future! I know God has a plan for our family in Washington, and I can’t wait to see what it is. I am excited to see my kids become better acquainted with our families. I am excited to see where Dan’s career takes him, and excited for him to finally be able to do all the things he wants to do in his practice. Call me crazy, but some days I am even kind of (keyword kind of) excited for the change in climate. I do love days like today when we were loading our van and it was the perfect late November day in the mid-70s; however, I don’t always love it when it’s November and you are craving soup and you have to sweat through dinner to eat it . My kids are SO excited to play in the rain and stomp in puddles more often. I am sure the novelty will wear off quickly. I am very excited though for the change in seasons, the beautiful scenery, the mountains, camping, NO POISONOUS BUGS OR SNAKES, and clean (although cold) lakes where I can see my own feet. Most of all I am looking forward to a new stage of our life, new opportunities, new friends, a new job :), and the exciting adventures that “newness” brings!
7 comments:
Amen, friend. :)
what a wonderful post
oh, i'm sad already. it was a good post but we're going to miss you guys!
We are going to miss you guys! But I know there is definitely bigger and better things to look forward to. :) You guys are great!
We are going to miss you guys! But I know there is definitely bigger and better things to look forward to. :) You guys are great!
I'm know you will be missed in Texas. But we are really excited for ya'll and the many things to come for you. You're done with school....HOORAY! =)
Cant believe its time already! Keep in touch so we can see yo sometime when you get here! Good luck with the move! It will be nice to have thisnew chapter inyour lives but there is nothing like good old TEXAS!!! Like the song on your blog says..."Your gonna miss this!" you will!
Post a Comment