


My parents were thrilled when I brought Dan home. They were convinced we were the perfect match. In their eyes, he was perfect. Well....almost. My dad went to Pharmacy school at Washington State University. In fact, I was born in Pullman while he was a student there. Therefore, our family feels very justified in being Cougar fans, although we lived in Western Washington. Then comes Dan.... a University of Washington Husky fan. Did he go to school there? No... Did anyone in his family go to school there? No... His reasoning for being a Husky fan? "I grew up close to Seattle." Ok. I guess that makes sense. For awhile. But, when I graduated from high school and went away to school, my priorities shifted, and I became a True Blue BYU fan. So, after we got married and Dan began attending BYU I thought that we could forget about this whole silly UW thing. Nope. Don't get me wrong. Dan is a HUGE BYU fan, and diligently follows their seasons every year. We enjoy watching BYU/Utah games, especially when the outcome is the one we want. We even paid way too much money to go to the BYU game when we were living in Texas and they came down to play TCU. (Well, it wouldn't have been way too much money if they would have won:) BUT, he has definately reserved a certain amount of loyalty for UW. I don't make a huge deal about it, because to be honest, I don't actually follow anything of WSU. I just hold on to the loyalty thing because I lived there and it's Johnston family thing. So, when we were going through a box of hand-me-downs that my mom's sweet friend gave us from her grandsons, Dan was THRILLED to find a UW football jersey. I didn't really worry too much about it, because I'm the one who dresses Broden anyway. I just tucked it into a box to be packed away and didn't think anything about it. Only I didn't get it packed away soon enough. Dan saw it, fished it out of the box, and if that wasn't enough, put it on Broden. Then, he made it his special project to convince Broden that it's his favorite shirt. And it worked!! Aargh! Now I am the one who gets to fight the battle every morning when Broden cries for his "basketball" shirt (so he has his sports slightly mixed up.) I've pretended not to know what he's talking about, since it's not actually a basketball shirt. But deep inside I know what he's talking about and he knows that I know. Needless to say, so far I'm losing the battle. :( (Since when do boys care what they wear anyways?)
No comments:
Post a Comment