A couple of weeks ago we went up to Southern Alberta for a Sillito Family Reunion. It was so much fun. Dan and Broden went up last summer for a wedding, but I hadn't been up there since I was pregnant with Jacey. We camped for 2 nights and attended "The Great Canadian Barn Dance" Dan's extended family is so much fun, and there is never a shortage of entertainment. Here are some of our highlights of the weekend:


The family talent show. Out of all his siblings, Dan's dad was the only one to move down to the states. Every time I have gone up there, and ever since Dan can remember, the "American Sillitos" have been the brunt of a lot of American jokes. For the family talent show on the first night of the reunion, our family (us, Dan's parents, and his sisters and their families) got up on the stage, dressed in our Red, White, and Blue, told Canadian jokes, and sang "Proud to be an American" while waving flags. I might have felt bad, but for the most part the jokes were all in good taste and everyone agreed it was time to switch it up a bit. The other great part of the talent show was watching Jacey take her keyboard up there and play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for the WHOLE group. Might not seem like a big deal, but you see, Jacey tends to be shy in front of large groups and she had been practicing for MONTHS. I was thrilled that she followed through with it.


Seeing our kids have fun with their cousins. Jacey LOVED spending time with Ryker, and is counting down until she sees him again when we go to Rexburg in a few weeks. Broden and Taylee had a wonderful reunion, even though it has only been a month or so since Taylee left, and held hands most of the weekend. We love our cousins!

The dancing. Definatley the dancing. Saturday night was the barn dance. They had dance instruction before the dance actually started where they taught a couple of line dances and the two-step. Dance instruction was serious business for Jacey and her cousin Ryker, and it paid off! They danced the whole night, and just kept getting better and better! My favorite 2 moments of the night- First, when Jacey asked Broden if he wanted to dance with her. Broden said no, but then Abby, Dan's cousin, said, "I'll dance with you, Jacey!" So, off they went, and Ryker looked heartbroken. I said, "I'll dance with you Ryker!" That's what a nice aunt would do, right? He looked at me and said, "No thanks, I'll wait for Jacey" Like- c'mon... really... that is so NOT cool to dance with your aunt:) My second favorite moment of the night was on a fast song when Ryker and Jacey were out there dancing together. Jacey got a little excited and started breaking into some of her ballet moves. At this point Ryker stopped dead in his tracks, looked at her, shook his head, and started heading off of the dance floor. What a good kid. SO willing to do anything to make his cousin happy, even if it means dragging him out on the dance floor all night. (althought I actually think he may have been having fun as well:) But there's sometimes when for the sake of saving dignity, you have to draw the line. Apparently busting out ballet moves in the middle of a dance floor crosses that line.
What a fun weekend! We can't wait for even more fun in a few weeks when we get to go to Idaho and see the Crabtrees as well as the rest of the Idaho kids again!
No comments:
Post a Comment