Thursday, April 24, 2008
My little example...
It's late and I'm exhausted, but I just had to post this real quick before I went to bed and woke up to another busy day when sweet moments like this get forgotten. Dan left tonight to attend a seminar in San Jose. Jacey is SO in love with her dad, and was very sad to see him go, even if it's only for 3 days. We all went to take him to the airport, and after a few tears on the way home I was able to convince her how much fun we were going to have with all of our girly plans. (movies, pedicures, treats, etc.) When we got home, it was bedtime. Jacey loves the whole bedtime routine, but doesn't love bedtime itself. She's a smart girl, and after we read scriptures, stories, brush teeth, go potty, say prayers, and are FINALLY ready to get her in bed, she says, "Please, will you just tell me one more story about Jesus?" Needless to say we are both a sucker to that one, so that has become a new part of her routine. It actually works out well, because Jacey has an active imagination and once in awhile gets scared of random things at night. We just started letting her choose a picture out of the Gospel Art Kit, and we'll tell her the story behind that picture. She has a little clip that hangs on the wall by her bed, and we hang it up after we tell the story so she can look at it while she's falling asleep. We tell her that if she just looks at it and thinks about the Jesus story we just told her, there won't be any room in her head for the scary stuff. She also has a flashlight by her nightstand that she is only supposed to use if she wakes up scared in the middle of the night. She can turn it on, look around the room to make sure there's nothing scary, and turn it back off. She knows not to play with it, and usually does pretty good. Tonight she had a little harder time going to bed than usual, because she missed Dan. We talked about things that could make her feel better, then she went to bed fine. When I went in to check on her she was laying on the floor in her sleeping bag next to Broden's crib. (She wanted to pretend she was having a campout.) She moved the picture of Alma at the Waters of Mormon (tonight's story) and propped it against the crib where she could see it. Then, she turned the flashlight on and propped it up so it was shining like a spotlight on the picture. She was asleep with her head towards the picture. It was priceless. I am so grateful for her and the testimony she has at 4 years old. I'm grateful that she understands to some degree that when she is sad or afraid she can think about Christ and be comforted. I know that we are supposed to be the ones teaching her, but in so many ways I am grateful for the example she sets for me. I know that she is not a perfect child, and we are certainly not perfect parents. I am grateful, however, for little moments like this when Heavenly Father gives me a glimpse of the special spirit that we have the opportunity to raise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so precious Jenni!
I just love when they teach US! This was a great story and I'm glad you've recorded it for her to remember.
Cute story! It was so good to see you guys in TX wich we couldve hung out more it was a busy trip but Im sure Ill see ya again soon!
That is such a cute story! Jacee is such a sweetheart!
Post a Comment