Tuesday, April 12, 2011
I can't help it.....
My kids should have been asleep long ago. It's precisely 9:18 p.m. and we started bedtime almost 2 hours ago. I've given up on Jacey falling asleep early. We try, and I know she should get more sleep than she probably does, but even if we think she's falling asleep early like she's supposed to on a school night, she's really just reading the book that she hid under her pillow before bedtime. We decided it's easier just to let her lay in bed and read until she falls asleep. We've realized that she ends up falling asleep earlier that way than if we drag it out by going in and taking her books away, her getting upset, etc. Besides, it also distracts her from remembering that she's scared of the dark, since she has her little flashlight in bed.
Broden, on the other hand, is usually our golden bedtime child. He'll snuggle to read a story, say a hilarious prayer (which now consists of praying that it will snow while he's asleep so that Jacey won't have school the next day every night), then lay down, roll over, and fall asleep. So why is it that tonight, an hour and a half after he's usually fast asleep, that going to bed is the last thing on his mind? I've heard him in there reading, looking at books, talking to Jacey, singing a song, using his flashlight to make animal shadows on the wall, talking to his Lightning McQueen car, which is supposed to be safely stashed in the playroom, etc. For awhile I loved it. I love hearing the sibling interaction, especially when it's not arguing. (Yes, I realize that it's odd that my son and daughter still share a room when we have enough rooms for everyone. We can't convince them that it's a good idea to split them up. For now we've just decided to make them change in different rooms and enjoy it while they want to be together.) After awhile though, I was ready for the 4-year-old bundle of energy to take a break for the night. I was just about to go in and tell Broden that the nice mommy went to bed and now he has to put up with me, when he had the audacity to run out of his room, down the hall, over into the loft where I'm checking my email. Lesson learned: wait a split second before opening your mouth in moments like that. I'm glad I did tonight. What was so important that he was willing to face certain punishment for getting out of bed for the hundredth time and having the nerve to run out of his room?
"Mom, do you know how much I love you?"
"How much?"
"One hundred and thirty thousand."
Then he buried his face in my neck, found the perfect nuzzle spot, gave me a great big cuddle, then turned around and ran back to bed, layed down, rolled over, and fell asleep.
I melted.
Thanks Broden. I love you one hundred and thirty thousand too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment