Broden's costume. I totally stole the idea from my friend Whitni in TX a few years ago, and was so proud of myself for a homemade costume. Unfortunately, Broden is really sold on blue right now. When I asked him what color he wanted his robot buttons to be he said, "Blue" of course. When I showed him the finished product, he started to cry because he thought he was going to be a blue robot.
So I did what any good mom would do. I gave in to the tantrum. The truth is, Broden is not a dress-up boy. I can't remember a halloween when getting him into his costume has not involved tears. I had already decided that even if I finished the costume and he didn't want to wear it, it wasn't worth ruining a fun holiday with a power struggle. Especially since we weren't going trick-or-treating this year. But hey, if being a blue robot would make it more fun for Broden, than so be it. And it worked like a charm.
Of course, robot costumes are kind of hard to walk in for long periods of time, impossible to sit down in to eat a hot dog, etc. So when we crashed another elementary school's halloween carnival on Friday night (since my friend and I are heading up our elementary school's carnival later this year) this is where our blue robot spent much of the evening.
Which meant Broden spent the rest of the time walking around playing games like this, in mismatched jammies.
He did decide to put it on again for awhile at the end though. Good thing, because on his way to the cupcake walk, one of the men in charge of one of the games stopped him and said, "Good for you, not enough people use enough imagination for homemade costumes anymore." and dumped handful after handful of candy in Broden's bag. Broden won a cupcake a few rounds into the game, and discovered that eating, even standing up should be added to the list of things that are hard to do in a robot costume because he couldn't bend his head down to look at his food. Too funny.
The whole group. Sadie, Isaac, Broden, Jacey, and Adam. Jacey was easy this halloween. Her friend from Texas (whose mom just happens to Jacey's former (and favorite!) dance teacher) sent her his ballet outfit for her birthday. She loves it, and immediately decided that she wanted to wear it for halloween too. Since it was a year of indoor activities for us, this was a good year to be a ballerina. This picture was taken as soon as we walked in though, before she changed out of her tennis shoes and into her ballet slippers. Oh well, you have the idea.
And then there's Sadie, our always happy BYU cheerleader for the evening. Until she's old enough to have an opinion, she will be recycling Jacey's costumes from previous years! I guess this was never really a halloween costume for Jacey, but it served it's purpose this year!






No comments:
Post a Comment