Sunday, October 12, 2008

They're friends, I promise! Don't let the picture fool you.



I've been thinking a little bit lately about all the things I used to do with Jacey when she was a baby that just haven't been quite the same with Broden. I attended story time at the library with her every week religiously from the time she was 6 months old. We had a "playgroup" with all of the other moms of one-year-olds in my BYU ward at least once a week. We did more park dates with other moms and their kids. Looking back, I realize that many of those things were done as an excuse to give me some social interaction with other moms, and maybe not as much for her social life. (Really, how well do 12-month-olds really play with each other? Secondly, the fact is- I am a mom of 2. It is impossible for it to be exactly the same as it was with just one, and that's ok. Last of all, I feel better when I watch them play together and realize that Broden would rather have Jacey here to play with whenever he wants than all of the story times, playgroups, and park dates in the world. And to be honest, when I cart Broden around to all of Jacey's soccer practices, games, going to and from preschool and dance class, I honestly don't think he minds. He likes being out of the house and as long as he gets meals, naps, and some good play time in between he's a happy camper.

I did realize a few weeks ago, however, that he might be ready for a little bit more of a social life than I've been giving him. I went to pick him up from the daycare at the YMCA after working out, and when I walked through the door I heard giggling. A lot of it. And laughing...and more giggling. When I looked down to see who these 2 cute children were, I realized it was Broden and his cute friend Cody. When I said something to Broden about having fun with Cody, the worker asked, "Do they know each other?" Do they know each other? Of course they do. They both have 5 (or almost-5) year old siblings. They're dads are both in chiropractic school. His mom and I were pregnant together. Not only were we in the same ward during our pregnancy, we also served in the nursery together. We shared pregnancy stories while sitting on small plastic chairs and eating goldfish crackers. I admired her cute skinny ankles while mine exploded. We went hospital shopping together, and ended up delivering at the same hospital, just a few weeks apart. It's only natural that these 2 cute boys would be giggling all over each other at the YMCA. We don't see quite as much of each other since ward boundary changes put us in different wards, but the boys still know they were destined to be friends. (Despite the unsure looks about each other in the picture!) So, that's my lesson learned. I think it's time for me to start shopping around for friends for Broden in the almost-2 year age range. What do you think Bethany? Time for a playdate? Maybe we could even get the 2 older ones off to preschool and (gasp!) remember what it was like to do a playdate with one child? The invitation is open to fellow moms of toddlers... Broden's social life needs a little boost! :)

3 comments:

Kevin, Amber & Jake said...

jake's up for playing anytime- i know hes a tad bit older than broden but maybe they will play well?? worth a shot, right? and jake needs play time as well. one of these days i will come over and get my cookie sheet too! :)

Bethany said...

I'm in. :) I was, of course, delighted by this post-but I have one question.

Cute skinny ankles???!???!?

Are you sure you're remembering me and not one of the myriad other pregnant women in our ward? Because I'm fairly sure that when I'm good and pregnant, you couldn't call anything on me "cute and skinny." But thanks anyway. :)

Whenever you're available, we're available.

The Sillito Family said...

Yes Bethany, I'm quite sure I'm remembering you. Coming from one whose ankles disappear altogether during pregnancy, that's one feature I always notice. And yes, yours were cute. So enjoy them this time around and think of me! :)