

Last month I was able to go to Girl's Camp on Friday night to visit the young women in my ward and be there for testimony meeting. It was a great experience, and every time I hear them bear their testimonies I am blown away. Their testimonies have so much more depth than mine ever did at their age. I have been so impressed with the youth down here in Texas in the 2 different wards that I've been able to be involved with the YW. We had lots of fun. Our bishop also joined us for the evening. I think it was eye-opening for him to see how silly these mature, reverent, responsible girls (and leaders!) could be once you got them out of the church. We played silly games, sang crazy songs, soaked each other with water balloons playing human battleship, settled down for a devotional, and ended the evening with a testimony meeting. I had to laugh when I got there though. I had heard stories about "camp" down here before, but I still wasn't prepared for how good they had it. Our ward's "cabin" was actually a triple-wide mobile home, complete with bunk beds with more comfortable mattresses than my kids have and a garden tub in the bathroom. They really rough it! When I told all this to Dan, he very openly shared his opinion how the YW had it so easy and he guaranteed that they young men never did anything that cool. The next week, a couple of the YM came to collect fast offerings, so we started asking them about their upcoming high adventure. They told us that they were driving down to Galveston, camping on the beach, learning how to sail in the gulf of Mexico, then going to Schiltterbahn (supposedly one of the best water amusement parks in the country) on their way home. Dan was right- WAY rougher than the girls! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment