Thursday, December 13, 2012
My favorite Christmas song
The first time I remember hearing the song "Mary Did You Know?" was when I was a new-ish (Jacey was 1) mom and living in Utah. Dan was working on his undergrad at BYU and working part-time as a Chiropractic Assistant in American Fork. One of the chiropractors at the office he worked at invited all of the staff and families over to their house for dinner before we went home for Christmas. I remember it being a stressful day. Dan was getting ready for finals and it was also the day that Jacey had her first allergic reaction to peanut butter. As a result we were totally late and I was not very relaxed when we got there. After dinner and dessert one of the doctors got out his guitar and started playing and singing Christmas songs. I love how music can invite the spirit, even at a work Christmas party. For some reason this song meant a lot to me that night. It's a beautiful song, but I also think Christmas changes once you become a mom. At least it did for me. It makes me think more about Mary and her role in being the mother of the Savior. I had spent that day worried about something as little as an allergic reaction, and this song definately put things into perspective for me.
Since then, I always turn up the radio when this song comes on. It's one of my favorites. It took on a whole new meaning 3 years ago though. Sadie was born on Thanksgiving Day 2009. That was the year of the big H1N1 epidemic, and we were under strict instruction to try and keep her home as much as possible. Shortly after her birth though, we were invited to take part in a special Young Single Adult activity in our stake, and it was an invitation impossible to turn down. It was organized so that they would go caroling beforehand, but be rejected everywhere they went (not knowing that was the original plan). When they got back to the church they met in the chapel, and Dan and I came in with our "baby Jesus" (Sadie:) dressed as Mary and Joseph. They sat there quietly as Dan and I began having a discussion with each other about what Christ's life would be like, and all the prophecies concerning his life while the young adults just listened. We then talked about our fear of him being rejected. Both intentionally, and unintentionally by people thinking that his sacrifice would not be enough to atone for their sins. It was a wonderful activity, and one that I've filed away to hopefully use again later.
While Dan and I were preparing for this we spent a lot of time in the scriptures, specifically the Old Testament, learning about the prophecies that had been given concerning Jesus Christ. I was surprised by the details that were included in those prophecies. I was surprised to find out that among many other details that they knew Jesus Christ would of course be a Savior and a Redeemer, but that he would heal the sick, cause the lame to walk, the blind to see, raise the dead, and calm the storms. The prophecies in the Old Testament also said that he would be betrayed by one of his friends, sold for 30 pieces of silver, spit on, forced to drink vinegar, wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities, and ultimately crucified.
I believe that Mary, the woman who was chosen to be the mother of the Son of God, was a good and righteous woman. I believe that she was well-versed in scripture and familiar with the prophecies concerning the Messiah. After studying those prophecies myself, it occured to me that if she was familiar with those prophecies, that meant that when the angel appeared to her and told her that she would be the mother of the Son of God that she knew what his future would entail. She knew what her son would be called upon to endure for the good of all mankind. So yes, I believe Mary did know. In fact, I think Mary is the ultimate example of a "Mother Who Knows". I'm grateful for her example of faith while facing the prospect of watching her baby boy be rejected, scourged, and sacrificed with the faith to be able to say "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to they word." (Luke 1:38)
This is why I love Christmas so much. This is why even though I love finding the perfect gifts for my children and those I love, that I try to keep the Savior as the center of our family's Christmas activities. He is the reason behind it all, and because of Him there is hope for all of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment