Read Scriptures
Pray
SMILE!
Our family decided earlier this year to do something to make it fun. With the Vancouver Temple opening this year, we thought it would be a wonderful experience to take our kids to the open house, as well as a good incentive to do the things we should be doing anyway. We do pretty good most of the time, at least with the nighttime stuff. We could work on smiling a little more during stressful moments, but that's life, right? :) Our bishop expanded on Sis. Daltons counsel a little bit to include doing the following every day:
1. Reading our scriptures individually and as a family
2. Praying morning and night individually and as a family
3. and again.... SMILE!
Our goal was to do them all, but to really focus on morning family prayers since that's where we could use the most improvement. We had a great excuse while Dan was in school and leaving at 6 a.m. for class. Now he leaves at 8:00. There's no reason not to, except that Jacey LOVES to sleep in, but practice is the only way to learn a good habit right? So we had a Family Home Evening where we introduced what became famous in our home as our "Temple Chart"


I wish I would have taken a before picture, but it's much prettier with all of the squares filled in anyway. I was proud of our kids. They were so on board with this activity. They were so excited to see the inside of a temple. (I'm pretty sure they were pretty excited for the pool at the hotel too!) They were good about reminding us, especially on Wednesday nights when we get home late (past kids' bedtime) from dance class, Dan's at scouts, and Sadie's STARVING that they can't go to bed until after we've had scriptures. Because I let Jacey take books to bed with her most nights, she decided to start taking her scriptures so she could do her own "scripture study". One night she asked me to show her where she could find the story of when Christ was born. I helped her find Luke Chapter 2, and pointed out a few important verses. Long after I thought she was asleep, she called out, "Mom, I finsihed that one... Can you help me find the story of Daniel and the Lion's Den now? She had read the whole chapter, and spent much more time doing it than I do reading my scriptures on any given day.
- Hearing our kids talk to their friends about the temple. "Did you know a new temple was just built?!" They were so excited, and passed that excitement onto their friends, even though many of them didn't know what temples were before the last couple of months. Jacey had some friends over to play one rainy day, and they were playing legos. One of the friends said, "Let's build a temple!" and they did. Another friend drew a picture of a person going into the temple on our chart, because he said "That's me. That would be cool if I could go to the temple with you guys." We went to buy new clothes to wear to the temple and Jacey told every clerk that we were going to see the new temple that was built.
- I was grateful for the opportunity to bear my testimony about the temple many times in a very casual and non-awkward way when people came to our home and saw the chart on our wall. I'm not always very good at taking those opportunities because I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable. I learned though, that people genuinly wanted to know and were interested in why temples are so important to us. I had many opportunities to talk about the peace I feel when I go to the temple, even during the most overwhelming times in my life and how grateful I am to know that I can be with my family even after we die because of promises we make in the temple.



We got in the car to go back to the hotel to find a restaurant around there, only to find out that there were only asian restaurants by our hotel. Guess what? Our kids don't like Chinese, Japanese, Vietmanese, nope- none of those kinds of food. Finally we found a McDonalds at about 8:30 p.m. and came back to the hotel to eat. We had already promised swimming, so Dan took the kids down to the pool for a little while, and then we all crashed. The next morning we resolved to make it a more peaceful day. We slept in until about 8:00, then took our time getting ready and eating breakfast. Then we realized- oops! Mom packed a size 2 white shirt for Broden to wear with his suit, and there was no chance that thing was going to fit him. So Dan took off on another adventure to find a store that was open where he could find another shirt for him. Finally we showed up at the temple around 12:00. We parked our car and went to wait in line for the shuttle. Just then it started to rain, and a (kind of grumpy:) usher said, "Are you sure you want to do this? The line is wrapped around the block up there and it's about a 4 hour wait." I wanted to cry. Of course we were going to still do it, it was the whole point of the trip. But I knew that Sadie wouldn't be happy that long without getting hungry and tired without a stroller, and getting Broden to stay anywhere for that long, especially a line, without running around was asking a lot. After a silent prayer, we boarded the shuttle and prepared for another chaotic day. This is where Heavenly Father's tender mercies came into play. Sadie was an angel. Broden stood in line. Our children were reverent. They did so good. If you spent a rainy day at my house you would know that Broden has far to much energy to be still for that long. If he has to stay inside, he usually resorts to running laps around our couch. We walked through the temple. Jacey loved the celestial room with the big chandelier. Broden liked the "lion room" (the room with the mural of the Garden of Eden) Jacey also liked the bride's room. Even though it felt strange to be in the temple where people where in and out of all the rooms, talking loud, wearing extremely casual dress, it was wonderful. It felt good to know that many people in the community were curious enough to come see what our temples are all about. Afterwards, we ran into some friends from our ward, and then a family who was in our first ward after getting married. It was a wonderful weekend, even with all of the setbacks in our plan.
I learned a few things from this trip. Nothing I've never learned before, but definately good reminders. First I learned once again how very grateful I am to live in a time when temples truly do dot the earth. I learned that children are capable of recognizing the spirit. I learned that it's important to have goals to work towards. Finally, I learned that even when we think we're doing ok, there's always something we can improve on. As we try to improve on those things and put things of spiritual nature first in our home, our families really are happier!
P.S. Since our trip, these are the kinds of pictures Jacey is drawing:
She talks about getting married in the temple all of the time. We're not too worried though, because she also drew this.... (with no coaching from us, I might add:) If she brings a boyfriend home from college freshmen year, we have every intention of pulling this out! :)







5 comments:
Oh Jenni I loved this post!You do such a good job saying how great something is while keeping it real too. :) I love that. Jacey's pictures are all so cute. You guys have such a sweet family. Your kids are getting so big and cuter every day. )
I'm with Megan. It was so fun to read this. You are such a beautiful example, Jenni! I love your family! What a fun idea that obviously had a huge impact. I miss you guys!!!!
You really are such a good example, I have always admired what a good wife and mom you are. I love love love your family and miss you guys all the time. I am so glad that after all those obstacles you were able to have such a good experience! Your kids are so lucky to have a mom like you!
Oh this is great.
First of all, I love to see pics of the fam. Jacey and Broden look HUGE to me. You and Dan, though, look just the same. :)
Also, I LOVE that picture Jacey drew. I love that she has to remind herself of that. "20 years old, Jacey, 20 years old. You can make it..."
The bird in her veil is a lovely touch. Kind of avant guarde fashion, isn't it? And I'm thinkin' that her groom's hair is parted an awful lot like Nathan's... ... ...
Now. Email me. How did StupidIMeanSuper Saturday go?
So glad to finally read your blog and look at all the cute pictures. I think Jacey draws very well! You had a great idea for preparing your kids for the temple open house and can talk about that experience for a long time. I agree that children can feel the spirit and I am grateful that you and Dan try so hard to invite that spirit in your home all the time. We are very proud of your family and love you all.
Post a Comment