Thursday, October 23, 2014

Reflections 2014- Say Love

It's October!.  For our family that means cooler weather, a lot of rain, busy days, thinking ahead to holidays, and PTA Reflections:)  Reflections is a nationwide art competition sponsored by PTA.  Jacey entered last year in the dance choreography category and did well!  It was a lot of work, but she definitely wanted to do it again.

I love that Jacey has so many good desires to do so many good things.  Sometimes I worry that she stretches herself too thin.  She always piles a LOT on her plate, but somehow seems to always do well.  I was excited that she wanted to do Reflections again, but also hoped it wouldn't become a major stress in her life.  It was a lot of work: for her coming up with the perfect vision and choreography, me for looking all over town for butcher paper for her background.  (Seriously Puyallup friends, does anyone sell it anymore???) However, as is always the case, now that it's all behind us I'm so glad she did it, and once again incredibly humbled by my little girl.

The theme this year was "The world would be a better place if...."  Jacey chose to dance to the song "Say Love" by Hilary Weeks.  Here is her artist statement:

"The world would be a better place if we looked for the good in others and told them what we saw.  Some people have a hard time seeing how wonderful they really are.  Sometimes when we see people we think nice things about them but we keep it to ourselves.  If everybody told each other the good qualities that they notice in them, it could help take away their troubles for a while and help them gain confidence.  It also makes us happy to help others feel good."

I'm so proud of this girl.  She lives what she speaks.  She is loud and silly like any 11-year-old girl around her friends, but quiet in a crowd and with those she doesn't know very well.  Going out of her way to pay compliments to those around her will not be super easy for her.  But she thought a lot about her statement, and found a way to use this contest as a way to bless the lives of others.  She made a list of people she admired or appreciated and covered 50 feet of butcher paper with good things about them to be the background for her dance.  As I read the things she wrote, and watched her contemplate and fret and worry that she forgot someone I was reminded once again how blessed I am to have this little girl in my home.

No comments: