
Today is the first day of school. So bittersweet for me. Last week I recognized that everyone was
ready to get back on a normal routine, and that school starting would be good
for everyone. It helped that our kids
were super excited, they got great teachers, and that it started to rain. All good signs that summer vacation could end
and we would be ok. On the other hand, I
have really enjoyed having my big kids home this summer. We’ve done some really fun things, but even
better than that is that I feel like I got to know them a little better. Aside from the vacations and bbqs and camping
trips, I enjoyed spending time with Jacey in the kitchen, helping her learn how
to cook and accepting the fact that she’s begging and ready for more
responsibility. She can use the sharp
knives. She can take things out of the
oven. This new independence in the
kitchen opened my eyes to what a great, responsible kid she is becoming. She spent this summer cooking dinners,
helping with Camden, and entertaining Sadie….all on her own accord. I tried very hard not to take advantage of
her helpfulness, but I really am overwhelmed with gratitude for such a great
oldest child.
And then there’s Broden…. I don’t know if there were ever
two children that had more different personalities, and yet I couldn’t love him
more. Broden is bursting with
personality, and it spills over into everything he says and does. He is Mr. Social, and has no problem striking
up a conversation with anyone, anywhere.
He is an incredible reader, but doesn’t get lost in novels like Jacey. Instead, he’ll spend hours poring over
non-fiction, science-y, encyclopedia-ish type books. And I swear he memorizes everything he
reads. We’ll be at the park and he’ll
find a bug and tell me this specific ant is actually a leaf-cutter ant, or that
the grasshopper he caught is actually a spur-throated grasshopper, followed by
telling me what it eats and more random facts than I could ever imagine knowing
about a bug. He is the first to push the
limits at home, yet the most sincere and affectionate as well.

This great summer came to an end last night with
back-to-school night when it was time to go meet the teachers. First we met Jacey’s 4th grade
teacher, who is great. She is kind and
encouraging, and easy to talk to. I
think she will be the perfect personality to be able to get underneath Jacey’s
sweet, shy first impression and pull great things out of her. I’m optimistic for a great year, and I am
looking forward to hearing Jacey’s report of the first day of school. I always miss her during the day, but she is
almost 10 (eek!), and I am daily having to accept the fact that she’s getting
older. I have no doubt she will do great
and her teacher will love her, and she will be surrounded by friends, both old
and new, just like every other year.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I think the first
day of first grade is my least favorite day of elementary
school.
It has been so far with Jacey,
and I’m not loving it with Broden either.
His teacher is fabulous.
It has nothing to do with her and everything to do with me. Jacey
had her for reading when she was in 1
st grade, and Broden walked up
to her class for reading last year.
We
know her well.
I am completely comfortable
with her.
Broden is thrilled to have her
all day this year.
He’s excited to be
there.
I am just not excited to have him gone
all day.
It’s so long away from
home, and I don’t like it.
When we went
to his classroom last night for back-to-school night, this is what I said: “Hi!
How was your summer?
Broden is so excited to be in your class
again!
We were so happy when we saw you
were going to be his teacher!”
It’s all
true.
But this is what I wanted to
say:
“Do you know how lucky you
are?
Do you know how much I love this
kid?
Broden makes friends easily and will
probably be a little chatty at times, especially at first.
Do what you need to do to maintain a good
learning atmosphere in your classroom, but please love him and recognize he has
a good heart.
Broden loves reading and
will probably be able to recite everything that he’s read to you, but writing
and coloring are not his favorite things to do.
Please encourage him, and help him understand why it’s important even if
he doesn’t love it, but along the way please praise him for the many things he
does well.
His heart will burst with pride when he
hears you tell him that he is doing well.
Broden loves learning new things, and at times may burst out with an
answer at an inappropriate time and forget to raise his hand.
We’re working on that, and we fully support
anything you can do to help us with that.
But please don’t squash that excitement for learning and sharing the
things he knows.
His confidence and
excitement for learning are two of our favorite things about him.
Above all else, please understand this:
I have been working my tail off for 6 years
now to teach him the lessons that are most important in life…far more important
than any curriculum.
I’ve been trying to
teach him first and foremost that he is a child of God, and that He loves him
more than anyone.
I’ve been trying to
teach him that we love him on his happy days, his sad days, his obedient days, his naughty days,
his hyper days, his frustrating days, and all the days in between.
I’ve been trying to teach him that even when
he makes choices that make him unhappy (because he will!)
that he can make those right and we will love
him and help him learn how to be happy again.
I’ve been trying to teach him to be kind, brave, honest, compassionate,
and helpful.
I’ve been trying to teach
him to choose the right, even when it’s hard.
And I know he’s only 6 and we have time to continue teaching him these
lessons at home.
Don’t worry, we will.
I’ve also worked hard to shelter him from all
the yucky stuff in the world.
I know you
can’t control what kind of junk other kids are exposed to and what they bring
to school.
I know these situations
create teaching moments at home, and they are lessons that need to be learned
eventually. But frankly, it freaks me out that my child is spending more of his
waking hours during the week with you and his peers than he is with me.
I knew it was going to happen sooner or later,
and since it had to happen I am confident that you will be a positive influence
in his life.
Please be careful with his
tender heart.
Please don’t take my child
lightly. He is my son and I love him, but even more than that I know he is God's son and I have been trusted to teach him how special he is and how great he can become. Now I'm trusting you.
Please hug him if he feels bad because he
thinks he let you down, and please continue to make him feel he is capable of
doing anything
he puts his mind to,
because I have no doubt in the world that he is.”
And that is what I wish I could have said….
2 comments:
Jenni, you have a way with words. I loved reading this, my heart was melting. If it helps, our boys teacher is a Christan. I know this from a conversation we had last year. :) nice job Mom, you are raising up some pretty amazing kids!
:) colleen
Just forwarded to Mrs. Brown, way to tell her :)
Post a Comment