Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Classic example of mommy/5-year-old miscommunication
It was a normal bedtime for Jacey... jammies, potty, brush teeth, scriptures, prayers, read a book, tuck her in. Her latest thing is that when we're tucking her in she loves for us to lay by her and tell her a story, usually about when someone in our family got married. This particular night she asked about Grandma and Grandpa Johnston. So I started the whole story... Grandma and Grandpa met, fell in love, he went to Vietnam, they wrote letters, he asked her to meet him in Hawaii for his R&R, Grandma and her sisters flew to Hawaii to meet him, Grandpa asked Grandma to marry him, he went back to war and she went home to plan the wedding. Such a romantic story, don't you think? Well, Jacey did. But she was very interested in what Grandma had to do to plan the wedding. So I explained that she had to find a dress, pick her colors, pick her flowers, call the temple, etc. Jacey asked, "What colors did she choose?" "Pink" "What kind of flowers?" "Umm... I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure there were some roses." This started the whole conversation about how much Jacey LOVES roses, especially pink ones. Then comes the important part of the conversation:
Jacey: "Well, I want to use pink roses too."
Me: "I think that's a good choice. Pink roses are very pretty."
Jacey: "Where will we find enough of them?"
Me: "We'll probably have to go to a florist."
Jacey: "What if they don't have enough?"
Me: "Well, they might have to send out for them."
Jacey: "Oh, you mean they could bring my pink roses in by the truckload?"
Me: "Um...sure." (While thinking to myself how it's a good thing I have at least 15 years to help her think more realistically"
Jacey: "I even know what I want my cake to look like."
Me: "Oh yeah? What do you want it to look like?"
Jacey: "We'll bake 10 cakes, then stack them all on top of each other, and pile pink roses on the top of it."
Me: "Wow, that's a lot of cake. That sounds beautiful."
Jacey: "Well, I'm going to have a lot of people there! And I want pink roses on every table.... and on every chair too.
Me: "It's a good thing we'll have truckloads of roses."
Jacey: "Yeah, and I want to super-glue the petals together and make a string of pink roses to hang between all of the trees. And I'll give pink roses to everyone when they get to the park."
Me: "Oh, are you going to have your wedding reception at the park?"
Jacey: (rolling her eyes and giving me the 'moms can be so silly' look) Mo-om! I'm not talking about when I get married! I'm talking about my 6-year-old birthday party!
So- if anyone has any ideas how I can gently break the news to my sweet girl who just can't imagine a birthday party without truckloads of pink roses, I would love to hear them. We have some time, (her birthday's not until September) but when she makes up her mind about something, she doesn't usually forget. Otherwise, I will be taking donations for Jacey's "Pink Rose Birthday Party" fund! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
OK that is too cute...Good Luck
Okay that is really cute. I was totally waiting for the shocker at the end. That is so funny. Good luck savin' up for that one. Whether it's a 6th birhtday or a wedding. =) Looks like you'll have to do a tea party this year. All pink. Or you could do an all pink party. OH, you could also base it off of that adorable book "Pinkalicious". Have you read that one yet?
Now that would be fun. HMMM, the wheels in my head are already turning. Maybe I'll have to do that too for one of my girls parties. HMM, thanks for the idea! =)
Oh come on Jenni- that won't cost too much. Scratch the idea of buying a house and go for it! I love the reasoning of a five year old. Thats priceless!
holy cow, thats going to be some party. Please contact me if you need my address to send personalized pink rose invitations or the doz roses to accompany the invitation to my house.
I'm sure you'll pull off something that she will love. That is so funny!
Oh, Jacey. You are so cute!
You really could do 10 cakes stacked on top of each other... just make them mini cakes... and then each little person at the party could have their very own cake! And maybe you could compromise and just put one pink frosting rose on each cake.
That is so funny! she is so cute! It was goood to see you and the kids over christmas. I hope everything is going well. and Im glad we can keep in touch this way-Your cousin-Emily
She's brilliant! I love it! Congrats a million times on the baby news! That is so wonderful! What a lucky child to born in your home! You guys are model parents!
Post a Comment